Mass Intention Guidelines
The practice of requesting a Mass to be offered for loved ones, living or deceased, is a beautiful and meaningful part of our Catholic tradition. In our Catholic Parish, there are many requests for scheduling such Mass intentions. Our parishes only have a certain amount of Mass intention opportunities available. Because of this, the following policies are being implemented in order to accommodate the numerous requests in a reasonable and fair manner.
Please note the following guidelines for Mass intention requests:
- The Mass Intention Book for the following year will open to parishioners on the following schedule:
- North Parishes – Monday of the week before Thanksgiving
- Beloit/Glasco – Thursday following Thanksgiving
- The stipend for a Mass intention is $10, as determined by Diocesan policy, and is to accompany each Mass request. Please make check payable to JOHN’S CHURCH. Payment, along with request, can be dropped in the collection basket, in person, or mailed to the Parish Office at 622 E. Main St., Beloit, KS 67445.
- Masses may be scheduled (on a first-come, first-served basis) at any of our 5 Parishes or Nursing Homes using the following methods:
- In person at the St. John’s Parish Office
- Via letter or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- After January 1 – By telephone at (785) 738-2851
- BELOIT ONLY – To insure consistent and fair opportunity for all desiring an intention for a loved one or event, we will schedule no more than 2 (two) Masses per year for each intention said at St. John’s in Beloit.
- While we make every effort to accommodate parishioner’s requests for specific dates, it is not always possible. If a requested date is not available, the Mass will be scheduled on the next date available at the requested parish.
- Canon Law 953 does not permit us to keep Mass intentions beyond those that we are able to schedule in a year’s time. Consequently, some intentions may be sent for distribution to other priests who will be able to celebrate these Masses.
- Distribution priority:
- 1st – Individual preference
- 2nd – Area Churches
- 3rd –Mission Priests
- Distribution priority:
- Canon Law 534 §1 requires that one Mass every Sunday and every Holy Day must be scheduled for the intentions of our parishioners and is recorded as “For the People of the Parishes”.
- Parish and School groups have reoccurring Mass intentions and will be scheduled before the Mass Intention Book opens
- CHRISTMAS & EASTER – There will be no private Mass intentions scheduled for Easter and Christmas. All Masses will be said “For the People of the Parishes”.
- The First Saturday Mass each month will be held in reserve for the Priests’ intentions.
- If, for an unforeseen circumstance, a Mass cancellation occurs the intention for the Mass will be rescheduled on the next available opening, or the intention will be offered in private – at the priests’ discretion.